Monday 9 May 2016

Jubilee River Pageant



   For some reason I keep remembering this fantastic array of boats - I suppose these last few days/weeks have been nostalgic nationally. I was lucky enough to be invited to watch from the Millennium Bridge. The day before had been sunny and people strolled along the Thames to look forward to the event or gave parties in their river-backing gardens.

  The day itself was cold and rainy: I wore 3 layers of thermals and clutched my brolly and collapsible chair decked in flags and bunting, accepting shamelessly any sausage roll or intoxication offered to me. I didn't warm up afterwards for five days when I got back home to Wales.

   But .... that moment when the vessels came through under the distant bridge! All shapes and sizes in a display that hasn't been seen for hundreds of years.  We cheered and yelled and sang and hugged one another.  It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and my throat catches when I think about it. So well organised and so moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment